Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A moment I won't soon forget

Two nights ago, my family sat down for dinner, as usual, our tv was on. Abc Nightly News was simply blasting in the background. That was until our collective attention was piqued by the story of Lt. Michael Murphy. For those of you who don't know Lt. Murphy, his family was recently awared the Medal of Honor. Lt. Murphy give his life to save his platoon in in the Mountains of Afghanstan. Specifically, his unit was pinned down, being attacked by Tailban from all sides, he knew their only chance of surival was to call in an airstrike. The problem was that the terrain was such, that from their position they couldn't get a signal. So Lt. Murphy crawed out, and called in the air strike, knowing full well his position was compromised, and he was a sitting duck. He was struck by enemy fire, but still finished the call, and the airstrike was delivered. As they showed pictures of Lt. Murphy, my three year old son, asked who's that?, to which I responded, thats a hero. Although in retrospect is seems a bit cliche', that truly what I said, and how I felt. The next story on the news that night was a pro-war, pro-sucess story about how much things had improved in fulijah, Iraq. The story explained that what was once the most deadliest place in Iraq, has made a tremedous turn around. Soliders and Civilians can now walk down the street, the market had reopened, and the Iraqi police was working side by side with our troops to drive out the terrorists. I was able to have a conversation with my son, that there are bad people in the world, that want to hurt us, but luckily we have people, who are willing to go half way around the world and fight them, so that they don't come to our home. I grateful that we have men and women like Lt. Murphy, it's just a shame that we don't have more of them.

This post probably would not have been written, if I could have gotten to sleep at a decent hour last night. I was flipping the Channel, and landed on 360 on Directv. Fox News. Bill O, was on, and notwithstanding my political leanings, Im not a big fan of Rush or Bill, but I caught his talking points. it was about Lt. Murphy. Specifically he was noting that neither CNN or MSNBC, chose to cover, Lt. Murphy's award. How could a man who saved lifes, and recieved our nation's highest miltary award, not make news. Perhaps you could make the point that your local news channel only has a finite limit on time, and it we could have a respectfully disagreement about whether this is appropriately newsworthy, enough to bump the local weather guy from giving us the third live vipir forcast, but MSNBC or CNN, come on they have hours of news to fill. Lt. Murphy heroics wasn't worth 4 minutes, during the 3 hours you were on primetime. However, before I past final judgement, I will give them an opportunity to respond. I sent both an email this morning asking, why it was that they choose to not do a story about Lt. Murphy, and/or his family reciept of the Medal of Honor. I will post their response if I get on.

Have a good day.

1 comment:

DR said...

Thank you for honoring this hero and teaching your children to do the same.